photo ScreenShot2013-04-22at120758AM_zps96d49433.png facebooktwitterpinterestinstagramlinked inrss feeds

Thursday, February 7, 2013

perspective.


If you read my blog, you know that I am currently studying and working at Baylor University and absolutely love it.  You also know that I have been working on decorating my new apartment and making it more homie.  Why do I want top decorate and make it feel like a real home?  Because I am here in Waco by myself.  I don't have a roommate, not because I don't have friends, but because I had two last year and they were wonderful - but I as ready for my OWN place.  




Most people aren't aware of exactly where Waco is in location to anything.  They just think that Texas is huge and Waco is super far away.  So I am here to change that perspective.  Waco is about an hour or hour and a half south of Dallas, an hour and a half north east of Austin and about three hours west of Houston.  It is located in central Texas and if you are driving on 30 from Arkansas, it is about 3.5 hours from the state lines.




There is something that has been brought to my attention lately, and it is a positive but also a negative.  I am extremely optimistic and I think the best of everyone.  Even if they have hurt me in the past - I give them the benefit of the doubt and set my expectations way way way too high.  This is excellent in situations when you are dealing with people you need to love and love forever (parents,siblings,family members, etc) but with people that are in and out of your life frequently - this characteristic absolutely stinks! 




You might be asking why am I beating around the bush and am really not saying anything.  Well, there is a reason.  I don't want to air my dirty laundry and I certainly don't want to create unnecessary drama when the problem is that my expectations were set too high in this situation.  




When you set your expectations to high, you set yourself up to be extremely disappointed.   I would hope that my friends and family would want the best for me, would want to be apart of my life and would want to share in this excitement that is Waco, Texas and Baylor Nation.  But sometimes, what you want, and what really happens are too different things.  




I consider so many people in my life best friends.  I am continually shocked at the way I am hurt and disregarded in life.  I need to take George Washingtons advice, "be courteous to all, but intimate with few".  No I am not speaking about romantically intimate, I am speaking in regards to the intimacy of close friends, the sharing of my inmost thoughts and life experiences.  I am having a new perspective on friends.  I am glad I have not been married yet because I know that when that does happen that the people who will be there will be the ones that truly care, that take time out of their day and communicate with me, that are there for me when I need them the most.  Those people are my friends - the people I want with me in my boat at the end of the day.  I am tired of being disappointed because of being left out, lack of communication, and 'friends' down right ignoring me mere existence.  I am wiping my hands clean and growing up - developing my boat - and filling it with only the best of friends.  




I am so thankful and blessed to have a wonderful family and great friends that do invest in my life on a daily basis.  And for those people I am forever thankful.  




I am leaving this post today with an invitation.  If you want to come experience Waco or Baylor Nation - don't hesitate to connect with me.  Baylor is an incredible place to call home and I am so thankful for the opportunity to both work and live here.  So next time you are in Dallas... Remember I am a hop skip and a jump away!

Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment