photo ScreenShot2013-04-22at120758AM_zps96d49433.png facebooktwitterpinterestinstagramlinked inrss feeds

Friday, September 7, 2012

For Love of the....Game




Guys - I am terrible at this blog thing.  But here I am.  I am officially doing it now!

Most people know that I am currently at Baylor University getting my master's in Sports Management - and for some reason people are always surprised by that interesting fact.  It could be because when I attempted to play sports in high school... I sat the bench.  Or it could be that when I run this is how I feel ::


When people think about Sports Management - they think athletic, coaching, in shape, or even professional athlete.  I, however, I am none of the above.  So why am I Sports Management?  Because I love sports.  My favorite of the sports:  Baseball.  That sport, more than any other, raises more questions because it is often associated with being the longest, most boring sport - yet, it is and has been my favorite.  

I decided to answer the most popular question - how did you start to love sports... namely baseball..

So here is my TOP 10!


10.  Spirit

There is nothing better then a school or a team with a lot of spirit.  Not only does spirit provide a sense of connection with the team and the players - but it is the soul of the sport.  It also provides an outlet for my credit card and shopping habits.  I experienced this first with my first love:  St. Louis Cardinals and then my growing up with the Arkansas Razorbacks everything is Red and White and Woo Pig and so connected to the university.  I love seeing someone in another state with a razorback shirt on - you immediately know that you will have one thing in common... spirit.    

9.  My Dad

When my parents got divorced I made a decision to start involving myself with things that my dad liked so that I could do something with him that he enjoyed and would enjoy doing with me.  That included going to Cardinals and Razorback games.  I started teaching myself about the sports and wanted to be able to carry a conversation with him - so I learned, and overtime sports became apart of my life and something I loved!  

8. Dedication

It amazes me how much time and effort and dedication athletes put into things.  Watch this video. 


When I first watched this video I cried.  I know it's crazy - but the drama, the emotion, and the willpower behind training for an event for 4 years is something to admire.  And I admire the dedication of athletes, and it makes me want to get involved and be involved.  

7. SportsCenter

There is no other tv show or station on television that provides as much drama and as much entertainment than ESPN.  I love it.  At first, SportsCenter overwhelmed me because I had no idea about most of the things they talked about.  But then I figured it out.  The lightbulb went off!  If you follow the scroll on the Left on the tv - it shows you what they are talking about and in the order they talk about it!  Every show should have that.  It keeps you intrigued.  If I see something baseball in 4 minutes - I am going to continue to watch it.  It also doesn't drag out - they talk and move on!  The best of both worlds.



6.  History

The history of sport has been my favorite class in grad school.  Learning about how Aristotle, Plato, Socrates all believed that sport was crucial to the development of a person - excites me.  I am already a history nerd.  I love learning about what people did to survive and how they fought for their lives and livelihood.  I would like to think that we are still a generation who does that - but sometimes I doubt that.  But even with the turmoil in the world - sport remains the same.  Dirt, jerseys, and sweat all combine to give the 

5. The Athlete Persona

This is a lot like Dedication.  However, athlete's act differently.  It is something that I want so badly. And is #2 on my list - so keep reading.  But one of my good friends played soccer in college.  She is so funny but so dedicated and I love that (#8).  But the thing that makes the athlete persona different - is they live and breathe their sport.  They live and breathe to be on the field playing, to eat healthy, work out in off season, and to strive to be the best at what they do.  They have this drive and this determination to win and to compete and push themselves beyond what typical people do.  That encourages me.  That is why I love sports.  That persona makes me want to be an athlete however, I am not.  But thats why I am involved.  




4. My Family

Every boy in my family, plays a sport - my cousin Alex recently got signed to play baseball for the Razorbacks next year.  I grew up around the game.  I love the game.  And I love my family - so I was always around. 
3. For Love of the Game




It's a perfect display of both handwork, dedication, love of the game, and love of the girl.  It's my perfect movie - and in 1999 when it made its debut - I loved it.  I love sports and I love romance.  Even though the scenes with Kelly Preston are kind of cheesy and definitely prolong the perfect baseball scenes and Kevin Costner's date with destiny on the mound on Yankee field - it is still a great movie - if you allow yourself to look past the terrible acting and love the game that is depicted.  (I also love that Kevin cries at the end - it is a perfect portrayal of the heart of an athlete - which I admire so much!)  This movie only made those two stronger - and is probably why the only guys I have ever dated - have been baseball players.       I decided to broaden horizons after my prince charming became to famous to even consider me.... haha - I know I know, David Freese, is probably so caught up in himself to date right now - I am not holding my breath.  If you haven't seen this movie - GO SEE IT.  It will open your eyes to my LOVE OF THE GAME.

2. My Desire

I have tried every thing when it comes to playing sports.  I tried Golf, I tried basketball and even Powderpuff football.  I was terrible.  All of them.  I want so badly to be athletic.  Yet, that is not the gift God gave me.  So - I decided to get involved in creating an atmosphere that people learn to love sports and love the game.  If I can help the sport become entertaining and attractive to all people - I have done my job.  Don't ask about these pictures - I am so dumb.  




1. The Language

There is something that I love about knowing that K's stand for strikeouts and that in a small box you can depict every single action that happens in a play.  I love the language of sports.  The way that sportscasters talk about the athletes, the competition, the plays... I love it!  I live for their dissection of every play.  I also think it is incredible how so many athletes come together during the Olympics every 4 years and are able to compete beyond their language barriers.  To see 8 different flags in the pool or 4 different countries represented on the bars and beams in gymnastics, or even the different languages represented in basketball or wrestling.  Sport.  Something that will continue to bring the world together beyond political and governmental controversy.  

Sport Transcends language, countries, cultures, and people.  Its about competition, it's about the love of the game and dedication that you as an athlete put into succeeding and reaching goals you never thought were possible.  




That is why i love sport.  

No comments:

Post a Comment