photo ScreenShot2013-04-22at120758AM_zps96d49433.png facebooktwitterpinterestinstagramlinked inrss feeds

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Too Fat Tuesday.... Halloween Edition

I thought since today is too fat Tuesday I would share with you the fat things that I like to indulge in during the holiday times, namely Halloween.  Halloween is right around the corner, so I thought I could also share some recipes with you of some fun treats to try for your friends or with your little ones around the house!
First: 
PEANUT BUTTER PUMPKIN MAN
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp ground flax
  • peanut butter chips, for melting
  • a couple squares of your favorite chocolate
        
 Melt the peanut butter and honey together in a small microwavable bowl until easily stirred.  Mix until well blended.  In another bowl, combine oats and flax.  Pour the peanut butter mixture into the oat mixture and mix together.  It may seem dry at first, but just keep mixing.  Form the now combined mixture into balls and place on a plate.  Chill in freezer overnight.  The next day, melt peanut butter chips in a small bowl (I used a ramekin).  If desired, thin the mixture with a bit of milk (I did this).  Using a toothpick, fork, of your hands if you don't mind getting a bit messy, dip the frozen peanut butter balls into the melted peanut butter chip and twist a bit to coat.         

          Set back on plate.  Repeat with each ball before returning them to freezer to let peanut butter coating harden (about an hour or so).  Once hardened, cut chocolate pieces into rectangular chunks and place on top of balls to make pumpkins.  You may have to melt the bottom of the chocolate a bit to get it to stick on top.  Return balls to freezer until serving time.

These are the best treats ever!! (especially if you like peanut butter like I do!!)  This next great has a lot of peanut butter as well!  I promise last peanut butter treat!


GHOST COOKIES!!


My mom has been making these for ages!  All you need is one package of nutter butter cookies and one package of white chocolate candy coating.  Melt the candy coating (be careful and only melt 30 seconds at a time because it will burn and mess up all of your white chocolate).  Then dip your nutter butter halfway in and let the excess white chocolate drip off before laying the cookie down on parchment paper.  Before the chore chocolate drys - place two chocolate chip morsels on it for eyes!  It is quick and simple and will make such a fun tailgate food, party appetizer, or even holiday gift!!  Plus they are super delicious!!


The next treat is a great dish to make with your family during the holidays for the best meal... BREAKFAST!

One of my favorite favors this time of year is pumpkin.  My mom makes a delicious pumpkin bread that I will share with you in a couple of days that is absolutely to die for!   This recipe is a spin off of a classic breakfast casserole where you soak bread overnight and back for 30 minutes in the morning.  Granted, it does have quite a bit of prep time.  It is worth it.  Especially for those mornings where you just want to lay around in bed, I lay around with Baylor, but those of you with sweeties - this is a great dish to make the night before - wake up and put in the oven, and snuffle for that extra 30 minutes you always want!! 

 Pumpkin French Toast Bake



Sweet and spicy pumpkin french toast is made the night before for an easy, early-morning preparation.
Ingredients

  • 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups 1-inch bread cubes (about half of a loaf and use wheat bread for best absorbency).
  • 7 large eggs
  • 2 cups milk (any kind)*
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin BUTTER (or 1/2 cup pumpkin puree)* 
  • 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar for topping
  • nuts, like pecan or walnuts (optional)




                                                            Instructions


  1. Cut any kind of bread into 1-inch cubes – I recommend a crusty, whole grain variety, but sandwich bread will work, too. Just use enough slice to fill a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish quite full.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and pumpkin butter until well combined. Pour over bread and push down with a spoon or your hands until it’s all soaked and mostly covered. Cover with saran wrap or lid and refrigerate overnight.
  3. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees, uncover and top with brown sugar and nuts (optional). Bake for 35-45 minutes or golden brown and no longer wet.
  4. Serve immediately with maple syrup, honey or agave nectar. Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered for up to a couple days.


Notes
I make my own pumpkin butter this time of year, so I use that, but if you are using the canned pumpkin I would use half of the can - I think it's like one cup pumpkin puree.



  
This is absolutely my favorite time of year!  Try these recipes out with your loved ones !!  I promise they will not disappoint.  My sister loves this last one because coupled with some good old fashioned log cabin maple syrup you are in for a sweet and pumpkin-y treat!  I love fall because with nutmeg, pumpkin, and cinnamon, plus of the different spices that we use this time of year - you can actually taste the leaves changing and the crisp air outside in every bite!  

That is what makes cooking so wonderful!  Especially this time of year!

Tomorrow is whatcha want Wednesday and I am going to show you some things that I want for my house.  I will need your opinion though because I am a bit of a clutter-holic.  I don't know when to stop and I dont know how to pick ONE theme!  I just pick what I like and throw it together. 

Because I am moving to Waco for a while, I really want this to feel like a cozy home.  A place that I can have company and that I can "grow up" a little with.  So I need your help!! PLEASE!



Also, I know we are a few weeks removed from the tragedy that struck the Turner family, but please remember them in your prayers.  Julee has a long road ahead of her and the more prayers that are out there the more comfort that will surround her.   I truly believe that Jesus sends us ANGELS to help us. let's pray for Julee and Preslee that angels surround them during this time.  And let's not forget, Matt's mother.  She has lost her husband, to leukemia (7 years ago), and now her son.  What a heart break.  If anything, pray for her sanity and her reliance on God and HIS PLAN AND HIS CONTROL during these times.

Thanks for reading my blog.
Let me know how you like the recipes!



Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment